Hello!

17 Comments

Mum shares warning following daughter’s terrifying experience inhaling helium from a balloon.

Kathy Fincher Smith‎ shared her message on the Helium Awareness Facebook page to warn other parents of the possible dangers, she wrote in her post:

“The other night my daughters were inhaling helium out of a large mylar birthday balloon to make their voices squeaky.

“I was in the other room and had no idea what was going on. My youngest daughter got a little dizzy and decided to stop and go to their room.

“The 13 year old decided to cut a bigger hole in the balloon and she said she was going to inhale as much as she could hoping her voice would be extra “squeaky” ….

No memory of what happened next

“She doesn’t remember actually inhaling in the helium. She doesn’t remember walking from the dining room into the living room….she doesn’t remember passing out from a standing position and slamming her eye/face/head into the floor.

“Thank goodness she didn’t make it to the hallway where she would have hit her head on the tile…she was still on the carpet. Their Dad heard the thud of her hitting the floor from the bedroom and was on his way to investigate when she woke up and started screaming and crying. This is her eye the next morning…it was completely swollen shut!

“Come to find out my daughter in law has a friend who’s 12 year old daughter died from inhaling helium from a tank at a birthday party. When she passed out they rushed her to the ER…by the time they got her there she was brain dead and died of oxygen deprivation.

“I had no idea how dangerous this was…and I am so surprised the number of other adults on my Facebook who are unaware of the dangers of this as well!!

“When I posted these pictures to my Facebook…the majority of people who responded were genuinely clueless to how deadly this is. I want to start helping spread the awareness any way I can. My daughter was lucky….there are so many that weren’t and my heart breaks for them.”

Dangers of helium

Last year a mum shared her terrifying experience when her nine-year-old daughter collapsed unconscious in McDonald’s after sucking helium from a balloon to entertain her brother.

Kelly Milne said her daughter Daisy was unconscious for five minutes and her eyes were rolling after she slumped to the floor of the restaurant.

Kelly also wanted to warn other parents to be vigilant following the incident.

She said: “When I put a status up online advising what had happened another person commented and said their brother had a similar reaction.”

“Most kids will be doing this to get a laugh about speaking with a high voice but when I saw Daisy’s face I was terrified.”

While Helium is a light colourless, tasteless and odourless gas and is non-toxic, Breathing in too much helium can be very dangerous, potentially choking people due to a lack of oxygen.

Inhaling helium displaces oxygen from your lungs, which can cause dizziness, falls and even suffocation.

Share your comments below

  • Had absolutely no idea how dangerous this could be. Perhaps it should be reported elsewhere other than just Facebook.

    Reply

  • I had no idea helium intake was so dangerous.

    Reply

  • Thank you for sharing my daughters story from the https://www.facebook.com/heliumawareness/ facebook page. I’m so happy to see the awareness spreading and hopefully it will help to save a child/adult from injury or worse.

    Kathy Fincher Smith

    Reply

  • Here is the children’s book I published called The Air Inside it’s available on Amazon

    Reply

  • I started the Helium Awareness Facebook page in 2012 after my daughter Ashley Long died from inhaling helium..
    There is also a Helium Awareness Website and Facebook Page along with the Pinterest page….

    Reply

  • I’ve never been impressed by this activity and I’ve seen so many kids and adults do it. Squeaky voice? Really? How funny? NOT. I had no idea this could happen, but I’ll certainly be sharing this next time someone things helium might be funny.

    Reply

  • I started the Helium Awareness page in 2012 after my daughter Ashley Long died from inhaling..
    I have also made the
    Helium Awareness Website and Facebook Page along with the Pinterest page.

    Reply

  • I had no idea! People used to do this when I was a teenager at parties!

    Reply

  • Seriously do you think that anything that could change your voice sooo dramatically would be safe.?
    Yes indeed this practice needs to stop and movies are included here also more awareness of the practice needs to put out there.
    Great this mom is posting of the dangers.

    Reply

  • Far out! I’m sorry but that’s pretty stupid. Shouldn’t mess around with that stuff.

    Reply

  • I heard that helium is bad but didn’t know it’s that dangerous

    Reply

  • I never realised this was so dangerous !
    The daughter of my sister did these helium games on her 16th birthparty ! Mind you, my sister is a doctor and she let her daughter have this “helium fun”.

    Reply

  • I’ve only recently heard about how dangerous this s.

    Reply

  • I do remember learning that helium is dangerous so I’ve always been surprised by people on tv etc breathing it in for a gag.

    Reply

  • Inhaling most substances like that could be dangerous however helium and squeaky voices is something that kids have done for decades.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join