Some parenting advice is best left back in the arc. Don’t you agree?
Remember great gran telling you to dip bubs dummy in brandy to help with teething? Give him a chicken bone to help ease the discomfort OR even give bub a spoonful of honey or sugar to help settle him. Yeah not the best advice today. I think childhood obesity experts might have something to say about that tip.
Although the Cochrane Collaboration – an international team of experts in various medical fields – looked at studies involving more than 1,500 children having immunisations and they agreed that Mary Poppins tip that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down – is actually true!
They found that giving children sugar drops a few moments before they had an injection meant they were less likely to cry – though it’s not yet clear whether sugar reduced the pain of the jab.
Babies given a sugary liquid to suck as they were about to be injected cried far less than those given water.
Dr Manal Kassab of the Jordan University of Science and Technology in Irib, Jordan said: ‘Giving babies something sweet to taste before injections may stop them from crying for as long.’
‘Although we can’t confidently say that sugary solutions reduce needle pain, these results do look promising.’
Other not so helpful advice
Mum and Vlogger and That’s Inappropriate has shared the top 5 parenting cliches that drive her nuts.
1) They grow up so fast – Try to enjoy it!
2) Let them be kids!
3) You’ll sleep again, don’t worry
4) It’s just a phase. They’ll grow out of it.
5) It gets easier, I promise!
We asked the Question on Facebook and here is some of the parenting advice our MoM’s think are outdated.
1) “You’re spoiling them by picking them up.”
2) “Kids should be seen and not heard.”
3) “Time their feeds.”
4) “Bite them back when they bite others.”
5) “Respect your elders. Respect is earnt. Don’t assume you just get it because you are born first.”
6) “Feed them then shut the door you don’t need to go in there if they cry.”
7) “As a kid I got told “don’t speak till spoken too”.
8) “Boys will be boys.”
19) “Honey or alcohol on their dummy.”
10) “Chicken bones for teething.”
11) “alcohol in the bottle for sleeping.”
12) “Give him a spoon of brandy if he’s sick.”
13) “Sleep when the baby sleeps.”
Now the real kicker of course – 14) “A woman’s true place is in the kitchen.”
What ONE piece of advice would you like to never hear ever again?
Share your comments below.