Hello!

17 Comments

Grieving parents launch legal action against battery company following their toddler’s death after swallowing a button battery.

Allison and Robert Rees are suing battery company Energiser Australia, as well as Sunshine Hospital for the way it treated Isabella, before x-rays finally revealed the battery was stuck in her throat, shares Yahoo.

In the three years since the 14-month old died, her parents have been campaigning for tougher rules on button battery packaging.

“It is three years on but it feels like yesterday. Everything is so vivid and I remember every detail, every last word, everything,” Mrs Rees told News Corp.

“We had a beautiful little girl so full of joy and life. Even when she was sick you couldn’t get a smile off her face.”

The parents claim as a result of being present in the two hours leading up to and including the time of the pronouncement of death, they suffered shock, mental harm, depressions, and anxiety.

They claim their injuries were caused by the hospital’s negligence and breach of duty in the care, management and treatment of Isabella.

The Rees’s say the alleged breach of consumer laws relating to goods with safety defects by Energiser also affected them and contributed Isabella’s death.

Safety tips
• If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 or go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink, and do not induce vomiting.
• Keep all disc battery operated devices out of sight and out of reach of children.
• Examine devices and make sure the battery compartment is secure.
• Dispose of used button batteries immediately. Flat batteries can still be dangerous.
• Tell others about the risk associated with button batteries, and how to keep their children safe.

Read more:

Share your comments below.

Image via 7 news

  • I wonder if they were successful in their efforts?

    Reply

  • Think parents should check the toys they give their children – if it is battery operated, there should be a secure way of getting the battery in and out. Otherwise don’t buy it.

    Reply

  • It’s a terrible tragedy that this happened but why blame the battery company. The battery should never have come out of the item it was in. Most things I find that use button batteries require a screwdriver to open them.

    Reply

  • This is a tragedy and is horrible, however, I fail to see how it is the battery company’s fault. It is your own responsibility as parents to ensure that batteries are kept out of reach of children. If they were able to succeed in this wouldn’t people then be able to make claims against any company that sells cleaning products which are poisonous if swallowed? I can’t speak for the hospital. I wasn’t there, but I know that something like this would have been very time sensitive and they hospital may not have been able to get it out quick enough.

    Reply

  • This is such a terrible tragedy where a young life has been lost and a family is grieving. We hear many of these stories where children swallow batteries. I always question how this happens. How does the child have access to the battery to swallow it? Whilst this doesn’t help anyone, and I understand in grief there is anger and wanting to blame someone… I don’t think it is the battery company’s fault. This obviously does not help the grieving family. Not being fully aware of the hospital process, maybe there is something there. I just don’t feel I have all the information, nor is that part my business.

    Reply

  • I’m so sorry to hear this beautiful young life was lost. RIP.

    Reply

  • Like all the previous comments, I too cannot see how it is the battery company’s fault. Perhaps the hospital could have done more.


    • Sometimes accidents just happen. Poor girl and her family. It is a good warning to ensure that any small objects are immediately placed out of reach though

    Reply

  • I fail to see how it is the battery manufacturers fault their child died. It is a horrible tragedy, but they should have been more careful with the battery. They want to blame everyone else for their own failings. Ultimately we, as parents, are the ones who are responsible for ensuring we keep our children safe in our homes and provide proper supervision so they don’t come to harm.

    Reply

  • This is a terrible story but I also feel nothing to do with the battery maker , am old and struggle to get these small batteries from their packaging .So think the only way for a toddler to swallow one must be from something already containing it .But a hospital should have done more

    Reply

  • Bless them they must be filled with grieve.
    In my opinion they blame the hospital and Energiser for their daughters death, probably because her death is too hard to process. Each and everyone of us has their responsibility to make and keep our house safe and to keep batteries away from our little ones.

    Reply

  • Such a tragedy, but I feel this story needs further explanation as it is definitely unclear why Energiser and/or the Hospital are being blamed ….

    Reply

  • I feel for them but I don’t think it is the battery company’s fault, medical maybe partially at fault but they need to take responsibility for the child having access to the battery in the first place. If I slice my arm open on a broken drinking glass is it the fault of the glass company?

    Reply

  • The story looks quite weird to me too. Why a legal action against Energizer first of all? It was a terrible accident but they can’t be hold responsible. And the hospital? Maybe they didn’t make the x-Rays soon enough and that’s why the little girl died? :-(

    Reply

  • I’m sorry and my condolences to the family but am I missing something in this story? THIS story really does not make sense to me?? is there something else that I am missing?
    I am left wondering why it is the fault of the battery company or the hospital…these batteries are very dangerous and all care, usage and vigilance are consumers responsibility.

    Reply

  • Was the battery originally in something and either fell out or wasn ‘t secured, or was it left in an unsafe place. Most things with in now the back is very tightly secured, sometimes with tiny philips head screws. I check and refuse to buy toys with button batteries. The only thing I have with in is a watch and I now leave that out of reach unless I am wearing it. My calculator has a flat one in it. It wasn’t an expensive one so I may dispose of it responsibly and buy a new one rather try to open it and replace the battery.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join