Hello!

12 Comments

It’s the craze that has spread around the world, but trying to make your own “slime” at home can have serious consequences.

One Perth teenager found out the hard way when she ended up with blisters and deep burns.

It’s been six weeks since the Perth girl burned her hands and she says they are only just starting to look normal, reports 7 news.

Millions of children across the world have been swept up in the slime fad but there can be very serious consequences.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Oates Broom Indoor
Oates Broom Indoor

Submitting your rating…

This is the result of a 13-year-old girl mixing a common household cleaning agent with shaving cream and shampoo

The Karrinyup girl, who was trying to create a home-made version of slime, ended up with blisters, peeling skin and deep burns.

There are millions of posts on social media about the craze, which has taken the world by storm.

Mum Rebekha also posted a warning on Facebook. She called for all online tutorial slime videos to come with health warnings.

She posted: ‘My little Queen has been making slime off YouTube….they call it Unicorn Slime or Tie Dye Slime, crazy names, all in really pretty and funky colours.

‘I went and bought Deejay all the ingredients and let her make it. Three weeks later we are looking at plastic surgery on her hands from a burns department at hospital.

‘She started with blisters, then her skin peeled and now it’s burnt from chemical burns. Do not let them do this. She is in so much pain and she is being a warrior through it all.’

A Massachusetts family is also warning others about the dangers of do-it-yourself homemade slime after their 11-year-old daughter suffered second- and third-degree burns on her hands, which doctors said is likely the result of prolonged exposure to one of the recipe’s key ingredients.

Consumer Protection in WA has issued a warning that says products should only be used as intended and consumers should take notice of any warnings on labels.

Have your children been caught up in the slime craze?

Share your comments below.

Image via getty

  • what ingredient exactly caused that? poor kid. stick to the safe regular things

    Reply

  • My son made gak recently with food dye, cornflour and water for school. A much safer alternative.

    Reply

  • Ouch. What happened to just making gak with cornflour and water?

    Reply

  • Australia used to have Borax. It is a very dangerous product so hopefully it has been banned.

    Reply

  • Terrible outcome! My 3 and 5 yr daughters love slime, thanks to youtube videos. I looked into making slime but the main ingredients are craft glue and borax (Australia does not have borax) .
    I didn’t like that idea,and brought slime from local gone bonkas store.

    Reply

  • The poor girl,l hope all is well now!

    Reply

  • Have no idea what ingredient caused this but thanks for the heads up anyway.

    Reply

  • Fortunately we never went through the slime craze.

    Reply

  • That looks awful ! Poor girl, hope she recovers well !
    I wonder what key ingredients they used ?
    Glad that my kids aren’t into this craze !

    Reply

  • thanks for the heads up, no slime here either!

    Reply

  • I’m rather pleased my kids haven’t got into this.

    Reply

  • Really shocking!! It must be so painful too!
    No slime craze here, luckily!!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join