Hello!

28 Comments

A little girl was left with a ‘super scary’ tongue injury after she got into her brother’s sour lollies, prompting her mum to warn other parents.

The mum shared her story with Tiny Hearts Education, which educates parents and caregivers on first-aid for babies and children.

“Yesterday my daughter got into my son’s Warheads lollies,” the mum wrote. “They are super sour and acidic. She came to me screaming ‘my tongue is sore’. They had burnt her tongue, she was beside herself.

“We spoke to a doctor and got advise what to do, she is ok thankfully. But I was so worried when I had seen what they had done to her. It was super scary.”

Tiny Hearts Education continued the warning, saying, “Sour lollies are acidic and can cause terrible burns to little ones. Introduce after five and with caution! ”

Sour lolly warning

Impact Confections, the US-based manufacturer of Warheads carries information about whether Warheads are ok for young children on its website:

“Some candy is only for ages 4 and up due to choking hazards. As far as whether or not your taste buds can handle sour candy, that depends on the individual person. Some people’s mouths are more sensitive to acids in food (pineapple, citrus) as well as to sour candy.

“The acids we use include Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid and Malic Acid. Please be aware that all these ingredients are approved by the FDA for use in foods and are included at levels at or below regulatory limits. We produce only high-quality products that meet all US Federal guidelines for PH levels and ingredients, and when eaten normally, consumers enjoy them with no issues. However, some people may have an increased sensitivity to these ingredients.

“To ensure a fun and enjoyable eating experience, a voluntary statement is printed on every package warning that the candy is extremely sour and can be an irritation to sensitive mouths and tongues. If your mouth experiences any irritation, sour candy is probably too extreme for your tongue and you should stick to Circus Peanuts.”

The Warheads packaging also carries a warning, as well as stating they’re not suitable for children under four-years-old: “Eating multiple pieces within a short time period may cause temporary irritation to sensitive tongues and mouths. This may vary from a slight irritation to a severe reaction depending on the individual.”

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • OMG I’ve never tried them and neither have my kids or my grandkids as far as I know. That poor little girl, that looks so painful. Glad she’s made a full recovery

    Reply

  • Far out, that looks painful.

    Reply

  • I can’t watch this. Poor girl.

    Reply

  • They shouldn’t be sold if they can cause so much damage.

    Reply

  • Oh that looks like a bad burn. Who knew?

    Reply

  • Oh that poor little girl! That’s absolutely horrific! I hope she heals up ok! I have burnt my taste buds with these sour lollies but never to this extent!

    Reply

  • Wow didn’t realize they would cause so much damage. Poor baby. Will definitely be very careful if we have any and have little ones around

    Reply

  • That same thing happened to my brother as a kid. He ate the whole packet from a show bag and burnt a hole in his tongue

    Reply

  • I’m not letting any of my kids eat these after seeing that!

    Reply

  • Wow! I had no idea that could happen! Scary!

    Reply

  • Oh man, that’s scary ! Why are these products even be on the market, they should be forbidden !

    Reply

  • Thus is crazy. I always knew they were acidic but I didn’t dream of them being able to do this. Makes me rethink my choices of lollies over the years. Definitely will be keeping them away from my little 22 mont old for as long as possible.

    Reply

  • I feel terrible for the little girl. Her tongue looks so painful. But I don’t know how she ate 10 in row at 4 years old! I don’t think I could even eat one at 4 years old. Even now.


    • Yes, why would you even have this in the house with little ones around !

    Reply

  • Oh no, ouch that looks painful. Why people would subject themselves to that sour candy! Thank you for the head of warning though

    Reply

  • Oh Dear! This poor little girl, I can feel her pain! I’ll never buy these sweets for any of my grandkids again!

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join