A little girl was left with a ‘super scary’ tongue injury after she got into her brother’s sour lollies, prompting her mum to warn other parents.
The mum shared her story with Tiny Hearts Education, which educates parents and caregivers on first-aid for babies and children.
“Yesterday my daughter got into my son’s Warheads lollies,” the mum wrote. “They are super sour and acidic. She came to me screaming ‘my tongue is sore’. They had burnt her tongue, she was beside herself.
“We spoke to a doctor and got advise what to do, she is ok thankfully. But I was so worried when I had seen what they had done to her. It was super scary.”
Tiny Hearts Education continued the warning, saying, “Sour lollies are acidic and can cause terrible burns to little ones. Introduce after five and with caution! ”
Impact Confections, the US-based manufacturer of Warheads carries information about whether Warheads are ok for young children on its website:
“Some candy is only for ages 4 and up due to choking hazards. As far as whether or not your taste buds can handle sour candy, that depends on the individual person. Some people’s mouths are more sensitive to acids in food (pineapple, citrus) as well as to sour candy.
“The acids we use include Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid, Lactic Acid and Malic Acid. Please be aware that all these ingredients are approved by the FDA for use in foods and are included at levels at or below regulatory limits. We produce only high-quality products that meet all US Federal guidelines for PH levels and ingredients, and when eaten normally, consumers enjoy them with no issues. However, some people may have an increased sensitivity to these ingredients.
“To ensure a fun and enjoyable eating experience, a voluntary statement is printed on every package warning that the candy is extremely sour and can be an irritation to sensitive mouths and tongues. If your mouth experiences any irritation, sour candy is probably too extreme for your tongue and you should stick to Circus Peanuts.”
The Warheads packaging also carries a warning, as well as stating they’re not suitable for children under four-years-old: “Eating multiple pieces within a short time period may cause temporary irritation to sensitive tongues and mouths. This may vary from a slight irritation to a severe reaction depending on the individual.”We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.