Slime, the sticky child’s toy predicted to be a Christmas best-seller, has been identified as a health risk.
Nearly half – or six out of 13 – products offered by stores were found to contain potentially harmful levels of boron, according to the consumer watchdog, Which?, shares Daily Mail.
Over-exposure to the chemical can cause skin irritation, diarrhoea, vomiting and cramps. It is found in borax – a common ingredient in slime that helps create its stickiness.
The EU safety limit for boron in slime toys is 300mg/kg but a higher 1,200mg/kg for those classified as a putty, a distinction determined by the maker.
Which? was concerned some slimes are making it on to the market because they are being marketed as putty, which is allowed to have a higher level of boron.
Please be aware of the levels before purchasing a child this gift for Christmas
Share your comments below.