Kidnapping charges against Tara Brown and a 60 Minutes crew detained in Lebanon have been dropped, confirms 9News.
A lawyer for one of the accused emerged from a Beirut court on Wednesday afternoon local time told waiting press that the charges against the Channel Nine 60 Minutes crew have been dropped, as well as those against Brisbane mother Sally Faulkner, whose case they were documenting.
According to Nine reporter Tom Steinford if the 60 Minutes team can come up with compensation by 2pm Beirut time (9pm AEDT) the crew will be released today and free to fly home.
Earlier this week a lawyer for Sally Faulkner, Ghassan Moghabghab told News Corp that an agreement had been reached between Ms Faulkner and her estranged husband, Ali Elamine, the father of her two children. While he argued they had merely been talking to lawyers.
At the time Mr Moghabghab described the negotiations as being “very positive”.
“Somehow we reached a deal,” Mr Moghabghab had said.
Ali also spoke to 3AW radio’s Neil Mitchell, describing the situation as “bullcrap” and addressing the ongoing negotiations with his estranged wife, Sally Faulkner.
“They came into our country and they’ve done something that’s illegal,” he said. “If the tables were turned, if I were to show up in Australia and try to kidnap someone, I’d probably be shot on the spot, called a terrorist.”
This is a good outcome. Although I fear there will be more to come.
This is a breaking story. More information will be added as it comes to hand.We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.