Hello!

4 Comments

Dangerous Halloween novelty cups recalled by Woolworths.

A range of flashing Halloween novelty cups have been pulled from shelves over fears they pose a serious safety risk to young children.

The LED flashing tumbler in green and orange and the clear LED flashing goblet have been recalled by Woolworths.

In a recall notice posted on the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission website , the company says: “The battery cover can be opened without the use of a tool. This could allow young children to access the button batteries inside.”

“Ingestion of button cell batteries by young children can cause internal burns which may lead to serious injury or death.”

The recalled cups were sold at Woolworths and Safeway stores nationwide between 3 October – 27 October 2016.

People have been urged to immediately stop using the products and to return them to their nearest store for a refund.

DESCRIPTION:
478663 Halloween Flashing Tumbler (Green and Orange)
478617 Halloween Flashing Goblet (Clear)

This product has been sold in Woolworths and Safeway supermarkets nationally from 3 October 2016 to 27 October 2016.

DEFECT: The battery cover can be opened without the use of a tool. This could allow young children to access the button cell batteries inside.

HAZARD: Ingestion of button cell batteries by young children can cause internal burns which may lead to serious injuries or death.

ACTION REQUIRED: Customers should immediately cease using the product and return it to any Woolworths or Safeway supermarkets for a full refund.

Woolworths apologises to their customers for any inconvenience caused by this recall and if further information is required about the recall they are invited to call our  Toll-free Customer Service number:  1800 103 515

This follows a previous recall by Woolworths for the Halloween Ghost and Pumpkin LED Spinning Wands. The toy may crack open exposing the button cell batteries, which could cause serious injury if swallowed.

It is time to officially ban button batteries!

If you suspect a child has swallowed a button battery, immediately call the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26 or go to a hospital emergency room. Do not let the child eat or drink, and do not induce vomiting.

In the video below, CHOICE conducted a test to simulate the devastating consequences of a child accidentally ingesting a button battery.

Share your comments below.

Read more:

Image via Facebook

  • These look like so much fun for the kids, such a shame they were dangerous and had to be recalled

    Reply

  • There is only one way to prevent this happening is to seal the opening and the object have to be disposed of……or the cover have to have at least 2 screws that have to be operated using a very small “pointed” screwdriver and done up very tightly. Regardless, screwdrivers should also be kept out of the reach of children too.

    Reply

  • Glad to see it recalled,hope no-one was harmed.

    Reply

  • Should pay attentions of those product
    For safety specialty kids

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join