Are your kids tired of a sandwich every day in their lunchboxes? Do they even eat sandwiches?
Here we give you ten ideas for lunchbox fillers and loads of other snack ideas that can sustain them through the day and are easy to pack.
Some kids struggle with managing multiple containers and utensils, so here are some quick ideas that don’t require too many extras.
Great things to include are leftovers from previous dinners if you have them.
If including meat items, you may wish to add a mini freezer gel pack in a snap lock bag over the hot months to keep the lunchbox cool. The snap lock bag protects the gel pack and stops water from going onto the food.
Top 10 non-sandwich lunchbox ideas:
- Sushi or inari pockets with steamed rice and diced cucumber (pictured). Buy the inari pockets in Asian supermarkets
- Tuna and corn patties
- Felafel – either on their own or in a wrap or pocket bread
- Kibbeh or kofta (or your favourite meatballs)
- Pork buns (store-bought)
- Ravioli or tortellini (veal or vegetable). Cooked and cooled without sauce
- Mountain bread with cream cheese, grated carrot and ham, or hummus, ham and cucumber
- Roasted veggie patties (homemade or store-bought)
- Savoury muffins
Snacks to include:
- Muesli bars
- Banana cake
- Apple and cinnamon muffins
- Boiled eggs
- Vegetables (carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes. cucumber sticks, capsicum, corn on the cob, leftover roasted veggies like sweet potato or potato)
- Sliced ham or salami
- Dried fruit
- Fresh fruit (apples, grapes, strawberries, pears, mandarins, nashi, melon, etc.)
- Savoury scrolls (either store bought or homemade)
- Cheese cubes (so much cheaper than store-bought cheese sticks)
- Yoghurt (best for cooler months)
- Savoury biscuits with butter or favourite savoury spread
- Homemade biscuits or cookies
- Chickpeas, four bean mix, or white beans (drained and rinsed).
Get some great recipes for homemade muesli bars, banana cake, apple and cinnamon muffins, savoury muffins and dinner ideas here.
Do you have any other suggestions? Please share in the below comments.