We put it out there to our community of savvy mums and they have come back with some brilliant low cost gift ideas for Christmas.
Here are the top picks to save a little cash this Christmas:
- Cake or Cookies in a jar: Place all the dry ingredients in a jar in layers and add a gift tag with the baking instructions. Then usually the only thing the recipient has to buy is the eggs or milk (if required).
- Homemade body scrubs: Use ingredients including coconut oil, sugar, mint oil, herbs (like parsley and oregano) and pop in a jar with a bow.
- Voucher book: Kids can fill a voucher book with a variety of jobs and activities they can do for the recipient, including doing the dishes, vacuuming, cleaning the car or even free cuddles.
- Christmas decorations: Have the kids make handmade Christmas decorations that you can give to family, friends and teachers.
- Handprint canvases: Get the kids to make their very own canvas paintings using their handprints and footprints. It makes a great gift for grandparents.
- Plant cutoffs or seedlings: The gift that keeps on giving, pop a plant cutoff or seedlings in a cellophane bag and tie with a festive ribbon.
- Personalised placemats or calendars: Find your favourite photos or artwork from the year gone by, have them laminated and give them to friends and family to be used as placemats or calendars.
- Homemade play dough and paint: Make your own play dough and paint sets at home for the perfect gift for kids.
- Christmas Shortbread: Make your very favourite biscuit recipe (buttery shortbread is our favourite) and pop into individual bags with a gift tag.
- Personalised DVD: Pick your favourite photos, pair with a meaningful song and add beautiful messages for the recipient to watch and enjoy.