Finding the time to exercise can be difficult.
With work, the kids, the hubby and the dirty dishes all requiring attention, any kind of workout routine usually hits the back burner. Don’t feel too bad. You are human just like the rest of us.
The good news is, with just 10 minutes a day, you can start taking better care of your body.
Below are some ideas to get you started:
- Get your groove on. Dancing is a great exercise and loads of fun! Turn up the tunes and bust out your best moves. The kids often enjoy joining the dance party too! You will forget you are even exercising.
- Clean the house. Don’t dismiss that chore list. Vacuuming, mopping and doing dishes can all get you moving. To kick it up a notch, tackle some of those tasks you have been putting off. Dust the blinds, clean behind the fridge or stove, declutter the kids’ toy box or clean under the cushions on the couch.
- Go for a walk. Plan to get out a few times a week. Keep a vigorous pace. If travelling with little ones, use a stroller or baby carrier. If you have slightly older children who just can’t keep up with the pace, get out some sidewalk chalk and bubbles. While the kids play, walk the perimeter of the yard for 10 minutes. Or, chase bubbles together!
- Make errands count. Whenever given a choice between a lift and the stairs, always take the stairs. Walk or bike with your child to school. Do a couple extra rounds “browsing” when you go out to the shops.
- Tune into fitness. Even while you are catching up on your favourite program or watching a movie with the family, you can be exercising. Lift some weights to build strength. Or, lift your legs up and alternate pointing your toes up and then down. You might try some ankle rotations and then full leg rotations.
- Embrace a sunny day. Exercise CAN be fun! On a nice day, pull your kid in a wagon, toss a frisbee with your friend or fly a kite with your husband. The whole family could play badminton or catch.
- Keep on key. Did you know that playing a musical instrument could burn as many calories as a brisk walk? So, tickle the ivories or dig out that guitar. Don’t have an instrument? Make some drums or maracas with the kids and start your own family band!
- Talk it out. Whenever the phone rings, walk around the house while you talk. Need to make a call to a customer service department? When on hold, try doing some squats or lunges.
- Get gaming. Video games that require movement can provide exercise and fun for you and the family. There are many physical sports games for the Wii, XBox and Playstation. Dance games are great also and can be really funny!
- Try some yoga. This is an activity that can be easily performed during “down time” at your house. It’s a great bonding experience for you and baby. Older kids enjoy trying it also. Keep it simple and playful.
What ways have you managed to fit some exercise into your life? Please share in the comments below.