All mums need ‘me time’ but as mums we tend to put ourselves last. We’ve compiled a list of 17 things you should try and find the time for – go on, be ‘selfish’ about it!
It might be hard but we do need to try and ignore the little ‘mummy guilt’ voice in our heads.
How many times have you heard someone say that you have it easier than they did? Mums of today are often thought to have it easier than Mums before us.
There are so many things that are meant to make life easier for us – think of all the technology available – did your mum have a video monitor? Google? How about an electric breast pump? Apps for kids? No, they didn’t have the luxuries that we have today, but do these ‘luxuries’ actually make it any easier?
Even though we have all these gadgets, our kids (and us) are so busy that often we often forget about doing something for ourselves.
Guess what? It’s actually OK and it’s VERY important to do something just for you.
Here are some suggestions that you could try to claim some ‘me time':
- Get the kids into bed early so you can watch your favourite show.
- Start to read that new book rather something about the kids.
- Organise a babysitter and organise “date night” for you and your partner.
- Ask the grandparents if they would be happy to have the kids for a sleepover.
- Organise some time out with your girlfriends.
- Go to a coffee shop on your own and just watch the world around you.
- If the kids are at school take some time to enjoy the serenity in the house without doing the chores.
- Book in a facial or massage because you deserve it.
- Order takeaway so you don’t have to cook.
- Make sure you exercise daily – even if it’s just a 20 minute walk it will do you good.
- If you’ve just cleaned the house send the kids outside to play.
- Play your favourite music in the car rather than the Wiggles.
- Eat the last chocolate biscuit.
- Make your favourite dinner for one night rather than always the kids favourite.
- Go to the movies with a girlfriend while the kids are at school.
- Send the kids to school with money for the canteen and sleep in for 10 more minutes that morning.
- Buy yourself a new pair of shoes – just because!
We would love to hear if you have any suggestions to add to our list? SHARE with us in the comments below.