The liver is much like the “mum” of the household. The one that seems to keep it all together with the ability to wear so many hats and always have so many jobs to do.
The liver has a never ending list of tasks to complete and piles of toxins to detox – much like the list of never ending chores around the house and the piles of washing to do. Without proper liver function or detoxification, we start seeing “cracks” in our health.
Apart from the liver doing the detoxification role by eliminating toxins from our body, this amazing organ plays a major role in digestion, cholesterol regulation and our production of bile to help us break down fats and alcohol.
Our liver is very resilient and most of all our liver is capable of regenerating itself given the correct nutrients to do so.
Here are some tips and supplements you can do to help support your liver and assist better detoxification pathways for over all better health:
- N Acetyl Cysteine. You may need to see a Naturopath for this wonder powder, but it works wonders as an antioxidant, great for liver support and healthy tissue repair. NAC is “the mother of all antioxidants” and crucial to our overall health and used in not only liver detoxification, but pivitol to our over all health and longevity.
- Drink dandelion root tea. Research has found that 2 cups of dandelion root tea a day stimulates liver detoxification. It tastes best with a splash of soy milk and honey. Drink between meals to support the liver and to help digest meals.
- Turmeric. Go crazy on turmeric! Turmeric supports liver detoxification as well as being a fantastic anti-inflammatory.
- Sulphur Rich Foods. Cancer fighting cruciferous vegetables. Keep your vegetable intake high. Specifically, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale and bok choy to improve liver function.
- Freshly squeezed vegetable juice most days. Fresh juicing is a great way to sneak more veggies into your day and make up for you what you may otherwise miss out on. Please find a detox juice recipe below!
- Vitamin B12, B6 & B9. These 3 vitamins are some of the most critical supplements to help support liver methylation and detoxification pathways.
- Drink green tea. Green tea is high in antioxidants and contains compounds that improve liver function, reduce fatty deposits in the liver and repair damaged liver cells. Aim for 1-2 cups per day for improved liver health.
Liver Detox Juice
- 1 Beetroot
- 6 stalks of celery
- Bunch of kale
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 Lemon
- Knob of Ginger
Push all ingredients through the juicer, stir and consume immediately.
Do you have any other tips for maintaining a healthy liver? Please share in the comments below.