Hello!

11 Comments

A little boy has died after being diagnosed with rabies from a bat scratch.

Henry Roque, from Florida in the US, found the sick bat and put it in a bucket, telling his six-year-old son Ryker not to touch it.

But Ryker said he was scratched by the animal and a week later complained of numb fingers and a headache, reports 7 news.

“So, apparently he put his hand in there and touched it and he said it only scratched him, so I frantically googled it real quick and it says to wash his hands with soap, hot water for five minutes,” Mr Roque told the NBC.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Oates Triple Action Flat Mop Rate It Listing Image
Oates Triple Action Flat Mop

Submitting your rating…

When his condition deteriorated over the next week the boy was rushed to the hospital and placed into a medically induced coma, NBC reported.

Ryker tragically died on Sunday.

Who is at risk? via Department of Health

People who handle bats in Australia or overseas, and people who come into contact with wild or domestic land dwelling mammals (especially dogs, cats and monkeys) in a country where there is a rabies virus risk, are at increased risk of rabies.

If you are bitten or scratched by a bat anywhere in the world or by a land dwelling mammal overseas, you should:

  • immediately wash the wound thoroughly with soap and water for at least five minutes. Proper cleansing of the wound reduces the risk of infection.
  • apply an antiseptic with anti-virus action such as povidone-iodine, iodine tincture, aqueous iodine solution or alcohol (ethanol) after washing.
  • seek medical attention as soon as possible to care for the wound and to assess whether you are at risk of infection.

Our thoughts are with the family. Such a tragic story.

Share your comments below.

Image via 7 news

  • So sad. Por little mite.

    Reply

  • A friend of mine went overseas and their stop-over on their way home was a country that was heavily populated with monkeys in the metro and other main towns. They were advised to be vaccinated against rabies as monkeys can be very prone to biting.

    Reply

  • I must admit that if it were my child, I would have taken them straight to emergency – such a tragic loss of such a young life – RIP angel x

    Reply

  • This doesn’t hapoen often but it still happens. Amazing you can die from a scratch

    Reply

  • Aw bless, how tragic is this ! My thoughts & prayers go out to the family.

    Reply

  • How terribly sad. My thoughts are with this little boys parents.

    Reply

  • isn’t rabies a lot more prevalent in america? why wouldn’t they have had him checked earlier? So sad for them, such a devastating time

    Reply

  • Oh I feel so much for the parents. I couldn’t imagine something like this happening. Rip little angel ????

    Reply

  • Oh! So terrible. Poor child! What a tragedy for the all family. :-(

    Reply

  • This is so tragic. Rabies probably isn’t something screened for very often anymore.

    Reply

  • That’s very sad. His poor dad will never forgive himself.

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join