Christmas is around the corner…we can almost taste it.
But if budgets are tight, Christmas time can be a bit daunting. However, it’s not too late to get organised and and look at how to cost cut during the [expensive] festive season and enjoy a cheap Christmas.
Here are my favourite cheap Christmas tips
1. Aluminium foil makes wonderful wrapping paper for gifts. Tie with a red or green ribbon and it looks like it’s been professionally wrapped!
2. Avoid the temptations of buying more than you can afford and always make sure everything sticks within your budget limit for a cheap Christmas.
Submitting your rating…
3. As for your gift list, you should really include only the people that matter most to you. For the people you work with and for any other similar categories, all you need to do is bring some homemade cookies and the problem is solved.
4. One of the easiest ways to save money and enjoy a cheap Christmas is to change the types of gifts that you purchase for others. Instead of spending $50 on a foot massage that you think your recipient might like, why not purchase a $20 home pedicure kit instead that you know they will love?
5. You should also consider making some of your presents at home. This way you can save more and your presents will be more original and creative. Every real friend will appreciate your effort and be very thankful to you.
6. Food is always one of the keys to success. If you dedicate some of your free time to cook some delicious food and invite your friends over for a Christmas dinner, they will most definitely appreciate this more than a present.
7. Important Lesson for a cheap Christmas: learn that you can’t and shouldn’t buy for everyone! There is no rule, written or otherwise, that says you should buy Christmas gifts for every acquaintance, co-worker, or branch on your family tree. Go through your Christmas list and carefully weed out those who are distant relatives, people you aren’t all that close to, and friends you seldom see for a cheap Christmas.
Do remember what Christmas is all about and enjoy your family and have a safe Christmas and New Year.
Did you know…
Most of Santa’s reindeer have male-sounding names, such as Blitzer, Comet, and Cupid. However, male reindeers shed their antlers around Christmas, so the reindeer pulling Santa’s sleigh are likely not male, but female or castrati.
Ancient peoples, such as the Druids, considered mistletoe sacred because it remains green and bears fruit during the winter when all other plants appear to die. Druids would cut the plant with golden sickles and never let it touch the ground. They thought it had the power to cure infertility and nervous diseases and to ward off evil.
Early illustrations of St. Nicholas depict him as stern, commanding, and holding a birch rod. He was more a symbol of discipline and punishment than the jolly, overweight man we know as Santa Claus.
What is your best tip for having a cheap Christmas? Tell us in the comments below.
More on Mouths of Mums
- How To Manage Your Christmas Spending
- Tips for a Frugal Christmas
- 10 Low Cost Gift Ideas for Christmas
- Mum Who Saved $30,000 Shares Her Christmas Miracle Hacks
- Secrets To Feeding a Family of 10 at Christmas For Just $60