Crystal growing is a fantastic Science activity that you can do at home with the kids. Watch the kids be amazed at the crystals they grow.
What you’ll need:
- powdered borax
- pipe cleaners
- sewing thread
- food colouring
- heat proof container
- measuring spoon
- Use 2-3 pipe cleaners to form a shape.
- Tie a piece of thread to the pipe cleaners, long enough for the pipe cleaners to be submerged but not touch the sides or bottom off your container.
- Place 3 cups of boiling water in your container, stir in 9 tablespoons of borax and a few drops of food colouring.
- Hang your pipe cleaners on the thread from your skewer so that it is fully submerged.
- Cover the top of your container in a tea towel or foil and leave overnight.
- Using your skewer, pull up your pipe cleaner and discover the magical crystal you have grown.
My kids love Science experiments and I am always on the look out for easy ones we can do at home.
Have you ever grown your own crystals?
SHARE with us in the comments below
Image credit: Pinterest