Weaving is a great fine motor skill activity for the kids. Did you know, you can make a loom out of cardboard and get the kids looming today?
What you’ll need:
- plastic needle
- masking tape
- Cut a piece of cardboard 6 inches by 8 inches.
- Take your ruler and lay it across the top of your piece of cardboard, about 1/2 inch from the top. Draw a straight line with a pencil. Now measure in 1” and make a mark. Continue on and make 12 hash marks about 3/8 inches apart all across the top.
- Cut the lines you’ve marked, stopping at your 1/2 inch ruled line.
- Repeat at the bottom.
- Cut out 2 strips of cardboard 1/2 wide and 6 inches long.
- Glue on the strips of cardboard so that the top of the strip aligns with the 1/2 inch ruler line.
- Cut 12 pieces of wool and thread through a top and bottom slit, making sure to leave a tail of about 3” on the back. Tape these ends to the back with masking tape. Make sure the threads are fairly tight. You are ready to weave .
- Cut a piece of wool approximately 2 feet long and thread it on the plastic needle.
- Thread your wool under the first thread and then over the next, alternating all the way along. Pull through, leaving a small tail to tie off onto the first thread.
- Go back the other way creating the next line of weaving but do the opposite under and over.
- Repeat until your wool has finished.
- Gently push the weaving up to make it tight.
- Repeat with your next chosen colour (leaving a tail to tie it off).
- When you have filled the cardboard, carefully slide your wool loom threads off the cardboard.
- At the bottom and top knot your loom wool together, two at a time.
- Use sticky tape to tape loose ends to the back of the weaving.
- To attach your weaving to a stick, thread and loop wool around stick and join it to the weaving.
- Loop a weaving handle to hang the weaving up. You can add beads and pom poms if you wish.
I love these and they’d make great presents for the kids to give.
Have you ever done weaving with your kids? Please add comment below.
Images sourced: Pinterest