Hello!

8 Comments

US mum, Leah Porritt, shares “I’m writing this because I want you to feel it. I want you to feel the panic I felt and I want you to do something about it.”

Telling her story to Love What Matters, Leah shares the time she nearly lost her daughter when she choked on a toy.

“I heard a noise from the bathroom. The bathroom where my daughter had been happily singing the ABC song, and had just shouted over to me, ‘I almost done cleaning up Mama.’ I had left her in the empty bathtub to clean up her toys, as I dressed her little brother in the bedroom across the hall. Actions and routines we’ve done a million times before.

Something did not register right in the noise. It was a noise but too quiet of a noise. Loud is always a good sign with kids. Quiet is not.

Tried This? RATE IT Now…

Image of Nando’s Hot PERi-PERi Sauce 250g
Nando’s Hot PERi-PERi Sauce 250g

Submitting your rating…

She was hunched over in the empty tub, her arms and hands extended in panic, her head thrust forward and mouth open. The noise coming out her open mouth was too quiet.

I grabbed her wet body and flipped her over, hitting her back. Again and again. I stuck my finger in her mouth and felt nothing. I could see the distress on her face and it confused me. I knew she was choking but on what? The bathtub toys were not small enough to fit in her mouth. She doesn’t even put toys in her mouth. She never has, even as a baby.

I ran. I ran with my naked, wet daughter belly down on my arms. I ran without shoes. I shouted to my little boy ‘stay right there, Mama will be back,’ and I ran.

I screamed.  I screamed louder than I’ve ever screamed. I ran and I screamed; out the front door, across our lawn, across my neighbor’s driveway and up the stairs to their front door. I screamed and ran because I knew I needed help. I screamed and ran because I didn’t know where my phone was and I needed someone to call 911. I screamed and ran because I needed someone to save my little girl.

Our beloved next door neighbor and daycare provider, heard my scream. She was opening the door as my fist made contact with it.

I think she’s choking, she can’t breathe.  Please help me.

As I fell forward, Ms. T caught my girl in her arms. Her feet were white. Her lips were blue. Her noise was too quiet.

It took one more pound on her back and the toy flew out. The toy that was not a bathtub toy. The toy that I didn’t even know was in the bathtub. The toy that my 3 and 1/2 year old had played with dozens of times and had never once put in her mouth. The toy that somehow went in her mouth and lodged itself in her throat. The toy that almost killed her.

She took a ragged breath and started coughing. The beautiful peach color flooded back into her feet and lips. She looked at me and started crying. I grabbed onto her small, trembling little body with all I had.

It could have ended so differently. It could have been longer before I realized what was happening. My fear could have caused my body and mind to freeze; a very possible bio-mechanical reaction. My amazing neighbor could have been gone. All of my amazing neighbors (neighbors who are former EMTs and firefighters) could have been gone. I could have lost her.

I’m not writing this because I enjoy revisiting those terrifying moments. They will be on loop in my mind for a very long time, haunting my thoughts throughout the day and my dreams throughout the night.

I’m writing this because I want you to feel it. I want you to feel the panic I felt and I want you to do something about it.

Not every parent is lucky enough to have a neighbor who has 35 plus years of child CPR and first aid training.

Not every parent has a firefighter or former firefighter living across the street.

Not every parent lives in a neighborhood with a fire station down the road or first responders who can arrive quickly enough to save the life of their choking child.

Not every parent has CPR and first aid training that would allow them to save their child’s life.

Not every parent, including me.

If you babysit when you are young, you may have it. If you decide to take a parenting class for your firstborn, you may have it. And like me, those ifs may have been 8, 10, 15, 25 years ago.

I hope you read this with a racing heart and tears in your eyes. I hope you breathe a sigh of relief knowing my little girl is just fine… and then I hope you move through the rest of your day with my words nagging at the back of your thoughts. I hope you find yourself on your phone, your computer, your tablet searching for a CPR course and registering for it.

I hope you never need it to use it.  But I hope that you know how to, if you do”, wrote Leah.

Sadly last month a Tasmanian family lost their little boy after he choked on a small ball. Read their heartbreaking story HERE.

It’s prompted renewed warnings about household hazards from KidsSafe Tasmania which says parenting is the world’s “toughest job”.

 “It’s a big challenge for parents and parenting is the world’s toughest job. Anything smaller than the size of a 50 cent piece is a potential choking hazard.”

Share your comments below

Getty image

  • Because my youngest one, a small toddler puts things in her mouth, I have temporarily confiscated toys small enough to fit even in the front of his mouth until she stops doing that and the older ones stop leaving small toys lying around on the floor and other places she can reach. They have had plenty of warnings but choose to ignore them.

    Reply

  • Aw so scary ! Glad this story had a happy end.
    Reading this story I couldn’t stop thinking about the little brother which she was dressing when this incident occurred. The story states: “I shouted to my little boy ‘stay right there, Mama will be back,’ and I ran”. Hope nothing happened to the little boy while she ran with her girl to her neighbour.

    Reply

  • Terrifying, even after doing first aid courses I don’t feel confident enough to be able to revive someone if needed.

    Reply

  • I can imagine her fear and panic. Fortunately the blockage was removed.

    Reply

  • What a terrible shock. Luckily for the neighbour’s carer indeed. The outcome could have been so different. :-(

    Reply

  • My husband used to be a lifeguard but I still keep my first aid up to date. He’s quite often not there.

    Reply

  • I think CPR is important and it’s a thing that should be taught to students at school and parents in community centre or groups
    I don’t personally know how to do it but I know it saves lives

    Reply

  • This would have to be my greatest fear raising a child! And cot death :(

    Reply

Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Please enter your comment below
Would you like to include a photo?
No picture uploaded yet.
Please wait to see your image preview here before hitting the submit button.
Your MoM account


Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like

Loading…

Looks like this may be blocked by you browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating
Join