Fever is a natural process that our bodies are designed to have, all symptoms of disease have a purpose, some are to warn us that what we are doing to ourselves is harmful and others are to help, such as remove bacteria and other pathogens from the system.
Are your family’s hands as clean as they could be? APPLY TO REVIEW Dettol Liquid Hand Wash here
Fever is a symptom that is helpful for a fast recovery and the more we let a fever do what it is meant to do the more our bodies will recover naturally.
The reason the body produces a fever is because it knows bacteria can only live in certain temperatures and by raising body temperature it is killing of the bacteria and in turn helping you recover quickly.
There is no need to bring down a fever artificially unless it raises to critical levels and doesn’t break, which is a rare occurrence as the body is designed to not kill itself and thus will break a fever before critical levels in most cases, but not all.
It also means you are preventing the body from treating itself naturally and removing disease.
Different ages have different levels of where a fever can go before it becomes critical and intervention is required.
The average body temperature is 37 C but can range from 36.1- 37.2, how you take someones temperature can also change the result of what is a fever or what is normal. If taking under the armpit the range for a fever is 37.8 and higher and oral is 37.2 and higher.
Critical levels of a fever for different age group include:
- Babies and children up to the age of 6: above 39.8
- Older children and adults: above 39
If you are worried about a fever then always consult your doctor or health professional, 24 hour doctors services are usually available.
Here are some natural ways of creating comfort and helping break a fever when it is getting to high, if these do not help then artificial invention will be required.
- Light cotton clothing or no clothes.
- A fan or fresh air from the window.
- Cold face wash on the forehead.
- Plenty of bed rest.
- Avoid cold showers or baths as it restrict the blood vessel causing your to shiver and raise the temperature higher.
- Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated.
- Elderflower tea has long been used to help break a fever naturally.
- Brauer and Heel both have a homeopathic combination to help bring down fever naturally, brauer can be found in health food stores and pharmacies.
Do you have anything to add to this list? SHARE with us in the comments below.