Whether you love to flip them, drown them in maple syrup or put ice cream between them, pancakes are the undisputed stars of breakfast. And if you love ‘em as much as we do, you need to get yourself a trusty pancake maker or pan STAT.
A pancake maker is an appliance that brings the family together – because nothing has the kids racing to the kitchen quite like the smell of fresh pancakes! From all-in-one electric cookers to the perfect pans and Dutch pancake makers, there’s something out there to help take your breakfast game to a whole new level. Best of all, these nifty kitchen helpers are easy to use and fantastic for getting kids interested in cooking.
We’ve followed our noses around the country to sniff out the best appliances and pans for perfect pancakes every time. But first, let us clue you in on how to shop for one like a pro.
Types Of Pancake Makers In Australia
You probably remember a time when the only way to cook beautiful fluffy pancakes was with a frying pan. Well, times have changed, and these days, there are some exciting new ways to prep your favourite snack. Take a look at some of the types of pancake makers available right now in Australia:
- Electric Pancake Makers - Like popcorn makers and jaffle makers, these clever appliances plug into your wall and do all the cooking for you. Some even come with a built-in timer to indicate when they’re just right. Handy right?
- Pancake Frying Pans - Not all frying pans are created equal when it comes to pancake making. Regular pans can be awkward because they have high sides, but a specially designed pancake pan has very low edges to make it easier to get your spatula in there and flip with ease.
- Dutch Pancake Makers - These heavy-duty cooking pans are stovetop and oven-safe and come with perfect indentations for making pint-sized European poffertjes.
- Character Pans - Whether you want to add some cuteness to your pancakes or just want to get fussy eaters to have breakfast (at last!), a kids’ pan is the answer. They’re available in a range of shapes, sizes and characters and are so versatile you can even use them for eggs!
10 Best Pancake Makers For A Fuss-Free Breakfast
Start thinking about your favourite toppings, because any one of these handy helpers will have freshly cooked pancakes on plates in next to no time. Yum!
Equipped with two large wells and a non-stick coating, this electric pancake maker by Kambrook prepares brekky in just two minutes. It has indicator lights to make cooking easy and a convenient cool-touch handle, which is great for kids who love to cook. This compact unit has an integrated cord holder for organised storage.
Built seriously tough to withstand loads of use, this 25cm pancake pan by Tefal is one you’ll be thankful to have on hand. The low, angled edges make it easy to use with a spatula and the super-safe, non-stick coating saves pancakes, pikelets and crepes from sticking. It even has a THERMO-SIGNAL to tell you when it’s hot enough to start cooking. Talk about a clever pan.
If flipping pancakes makes you nervous, the Breville Quick Stack has your back. By cooking four pancakes at once on both sides, it prepares delicious, fluffy treats in minutes. The countdown timer lets you know when they’re done and the ‘a bit more’ button gives you extra cooking time. With built-in cord storage and a secure locking lid, this one ticks all the boxes.
Expertly made to last using warp-resistant, non-stick coated aluminium, Nordic Ware pancake pans are the answer to a batch of pancakes all the same size! The pans are suitable to use on any stovetop and come in a variety of options, from Silver Dollar Pancake Pans to Smiley Faces and Animal Pans. Now that’s how you get the kids to eat breakfast!
When it comes to yummy snacks and breakfast treats, the Tefal Snack Collection unit is a star in the kitchen, and it even helps you prepare pancakes without a stove. Just clip the pancake plate to the unit, spoon your batter into the wells and let them cook perfectly on both sides. Don’t miss the other plates to collect in the snack series.
Ultra-tough, the Le Creuset pancake pan has a three-layer reinforced non-stick coating to ensure pikelets, crepes and pancakes slide right off. It’s suitable for all types of stovetops and oven-safe for keeping fresh batches nice and warm.
Designed for French-quality crepes and pancakes, this appliance allows you to control the plate’s temperature without a stove. The plate is non-stick for healthier cooking and the raised edge keeps the batter from running off the sides. Take it to Nan’s house for snacks or pack it on your next camping trip!
With thousands of happy customers, the Gotham Steel pancake maker lets you make picture-perfect pancakes with little or no oil! It features an award-winning coating made with copper and titanium and is completely scratch-proof and safe to use with metal utensils. Oh, and it’s safe to pop in the dishwasher – love that.
Budget-friendly and guaranteed to put big smiles on little dials, these pancake pans are must-haves in the family kitchen. They come in a large range of designs and sizes, ranging from 12cm to 18cm and feature a non-stick coating for easier cooking. Each is suitable for use on gas, electric and induction cooktops.
Dutch pancakes are insanely moreish and this cast-iron pan is the key to making perfect batches every time. Simply heat the pan, spoon or pipe the mixture into each well, cook until brown and then flip them! We’re loving how versatile this heavy-duty pan is – use it for patty cakes and brownies too!
What To Create With Your Pancake Maker
If it’s recipes you need, you’re in the right place. We have literally thousands of creations submitted by our MoM members, including some seriously yummy pancake ideas. Take a peek at our favourites below:
- Animal Pancakes – A simple recipe with an infinite number of pancake possibilities. If you love being creative with your cooking, this a must-see!
- Best Savoury Pikelets – Just as brilliant for putting in kids’ lunch boxes as they are for dinner parties, we’re giving these pikelets a ten out of ten.
- Puff-Up Dutch Pancakes – More like a French crepe than a pancake, this recipe will work beautifully on a quality pancake pan.
- Three-Ingredient Pancakes – They may be low on ingredients, but they make up for it in taste!
- Peanut Butter Chia Pancakes – For an extra hit of goodness, pop these pancakes in their lunches. Or try them with a dollop of yoghurt for a healthy weeknight dessert.