Healthy eating is a whole lot easier when you have the right tools for the job. And when it comes to an appliance that can pretty much do it all, an electric wok is hard to top.
What is the point of an electric wok?
An electric wok is a versatile appliance that gives you the flexibility of cooking amazing meals anywhere you have a power outlet. They usually have a larger capacity and require less oil than a regular frying pan, plus some brands even come with steaming trays for even more functionality.
And while some people might think a wok is only useful for stir-fries, the truth is you can also fry dim sims, perfect your favourite curry and master the ultimate omelette with one as well. So, if you’re wondering if an electric wok is worth it, it’s a resounding yes from us!
Tips For Buying The Perfect Electric Wok
In Australia, these appliances vary in features and quality, so ask yourself these questions before you rush out and buy one:
- Are you cooking for a crowd? If you have a large family, make sure you buy a wok with a big enough bowl for cooking the meal in one batch.
- How will you use it? A basic model will likely suit your needs if you’re just after an electric wok for cooking stir-fries or curries. But if you want to steam, fry and simmer all kinds of dishes, invest in one with all the functionality you need. It may cost more, but you’ll get a lot more use out of it.
- How much storage space do you have? A wok is a bulky appliance, but one that varies in size from brand to brand. Before you buy the largest electric wok out there, make sure you’ve got the room to store it!
- Prefer to use a dishwasher for clean-up? Some electric woks come with a detachable base and dishwasher-safe bowl, but some must be cleaned by hand. So check the washing instructions carefully before you buy.
6 Brilliant Electric Woks For Quick & Healthy Meals
Speaking from our own experience, once you have a reliable electric wok in your life, you’ll never want to be without one. Take a peek at the models other Australian families love right now.
When it comes to durable cookware, Sunbeam DiamondForce is hard to top. In fact, this Sunbeam electric wok is two times tougher than regular non-stick pans according to scratch tests against other brands. It has an easy-to-use thermostat for getting your heat just right, and with a capacity of 7.5L, it’s big enough to feed the extended family. Dimensions: 25.4cm x 38.3cm x 48.5cm.
- Large 7.5L capacity
- DiamondForce coating ensures no sticking
- The base removes easily for safe washing
- Required very little oil when cooking
If you’re looking for a wok that does it all, the Breville Hot Wok & Steam is a serious contender. Not only does it boast a reinforced multi-coat system that gives more life to the non-stick surface, but it also comes with a large stainless steel steaming tray. Crisp, healthy stir fries one night, prawn dumplings the next – yum! Dimensions: 45cm x 45cm x 27cm.
- Huge 8L capacity
- Includes stainless steel steaming tray
- Aluminium layers for maintaining high heat
- Dishwasher-safe bowl removes from base for cleaning
Big enough to feed the family, this Healthy Choice wok features a die-cast aluminium housing, five-level temperature control and a tempered glass lid for easy steaming. It has built-in handles and an easy-clean non-stick coating that makes easy work of frying, stewing, grilling and roasting. Dimensions: 47cm x 33cm x 21cm.
- Family-friendly 4.5L capacity
- Tempered glass lid
- Tough die-cast aluminium housing
- Maximum temperature of 240°C
With a wrap-around element that ensures even heat distribution, The Quick Wok makes great meals fast, every time. It comes with 10 settings for easy control while cooking, and it even has a detachable base for a fuss-free clean-up. Dimensions: 22.6cm x 35.5cm x 46.4cm.
- 10 heat settings
- Quick-release temperature control
- Detachable bowl for easy cleaning
- Dishwasher-safe lid and wok bowl
Well-sized for families at 4.5L, the Maxim electric wok has a non-stick coating and variable temperature control. Whether you want to whip up a Pad Thai in the caravan or serve steamed dumplings on the dining table, this wok has your back. It even has a detachable base for safe and simple washing-up. Dimensions: 18cm x 34.5cm x 46cm.
- Durable tempered glass lid
- Variable temperature control
- Detachable base for easy cleaning
- Non-stick coating means less oil needed
Budget-friendly and well-sized to feel a small family, this popular wok from Kmart is fuss-free and reliable. It has a tough glass lid with a vent, cool-touch handles, and adjustable temperature controls. A review on this unit mentions that is not too heavy, either – great news if you prefer lightweight cookware. Dimensions: 18cm x 32cm x 46cm.
- Glass lid with steam vent
- Cool-touch handles
- 2-layer non-stick coating
How to clean an electric wok
When it comes to cleaning electric appliances, it’s natural to be nervous about getting water where you shouldn’t. The good news is that cleaning most electric woks is quite straightforward, especially when they have a detachable base that keeps the electrical area away from any water. In fact, some detachable woks are even dishwasher-safe. Talk about convenience.
If the wok bowl is not dishwasher safe, ensure you only use non-scratch sponges to avoid damaging the non-stick coating.
For non-detachable electric woks, some manufacturers recommend wiping out the wok with a soft cloth. Just remember to turn the appliance off and let it cool before cleaning it. And of course, keep the cord and plug away from water.
Take the time to carefully read the manufacturer’s care instructions before you wash the appliance. If you do the wrong thing, it could void the warranty.
What to cook with your electric wok
Fire up your imagination and prep your tastebuds, because our MoM Members have contributed some incredible recipes perfect for whipping up on an electric wok. Enjoy!
- Potato and Capsicum Sabzi - This Indian stir fry is a cinch to cook in a wok, especially because it makes it easy to toss all of the spices through the vegetables.
- Healthy Beef Stir Fry - With lean meat and loads of veggies, this is healthy eating done right! Of course, if you’d prefer a meat-free version, just substitute the beef for tofu or tempeh.
- Cooked Salmon Fried Rice – Positively packed with the delicious goodness of salmon and vegetables, this is destined to be on high rotation in any household.
- Noodle Omelette - The beauty of using a wok to cook an omelette is that it is so easy to get underneath it with a spatula for turning.
- Simple Chicken Peanut Noodles – Just as good for lunch or dinner, this is a brilliant option for feeding a pack of hungry kids. Best of all it’s ready in just over half an hour.