Want to know how to stop depression, stress and anxiety?
There are a few basic steps to implement first to get you on your way.
Speaking with a counsellor or therapist is also enormously beneficial for establishing what you need in your life and how to achieve that.
Here are a few psychological strategies to get you started:
- Establish your needs and value them. Don’t diminish your dreams or needs for the sake of others. Without establishing a clear outline of what you want – how do you make progress?
- Recognise the worth in loving what you are doing. Whatever that may be.
- Practice mindfulness (Google if you’re unsure)
- Base your decisions on your values. Not on others hopes. This isn’t selfish, it’s good self care & it’s honest.
- Practice gratitude. Before you get out of bed in the morning, find something to be grateful for. It’s not always easy but it’s the beginning of cognitive reframing (changing your unhelpful thought processes)
- Speaking of honest – be honest with yourself and others. Say what you truly feel. Not in a “wow your hair looks atrocious” kinda way, just with sincerity.
- Nourish your body with good food and exercise and your mind with helpful thoughts.
- Find things that make you happy. Do them. Often.
- Banish all those nonsense rules running round your head. You created them and if they aren’t helping, lose them.
- Stop blaming others. Yep, I said it. Others cannot make you feel an emotion. They can have clearly absurd behaviour, but YOU choose how you respond and how it affects you.
What things do you do to calm your mind and reduce stress and anxiety, please share in the comments below.