Essential beauty advice for mums to give their daughters.
Ever since I watched my mother get ready for a night out, I learned a lot and couldn’t resist sharing some of my favourite beauty advice.
- The first beauty product you should apply every day is sunscreen, even if it’s cloudy or rainy outside. The sun’s UV rays can penetrate clouds and car windows. Apply SPF 30 to your face, neck and hands.
- Always wash your make up off before you go to bed no matter how tired you are. Use a cleanser followed by a moisturiser.
- Have a positive attitude. A girl with a positive attitude will automatically be seen as more beautiful than a girl with a bad or negative attitude.
- Smile as much as possible. Smiling makes your inner beauty shine through. A smile also makes you seem more approachable to others.
- When it comes to make up, less is more! Make up should be more about highlighting and enhancing than camouflaging.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. If you are after a great drink to have first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, try my special mix. The ingredients help cleanse all the toxins and boost your immune system as well as improve the overall appearance of your skin.
- 3 x slices of fresh ginger, a generous squeeze of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of organic honey. Mix together in a mug before adding boiling water
- Never squeeze your pimples, it will leave scars. The best way to zap a zit is to crush a few aspirins to form a powder, add water to make a paste, apply to zits before bed, then cover with Band- Aids.
- Help your children find beauty in everything they see and in everyone they meet.
- A hair trim every 6 – 8 weeks does make your hair grow longer and stronger.
- When it comes to hair, apply less product. Hair looks more expensive when there is less goop in it.
- Exfoliate your lips once a week to remove dead skin and get the blood circulating. Run your toothbrush under warm water. Gently brush your lips in circular motions with the damp toothbrush. Pat your lips dry and add a little moisturizer.
- Go to the dentist every 6 months for a check up and ensure you floss and brush your teeth twice a day.
- Never keep your mascara for longer than 3 months as the germs that breed in a mascara wand are scary!
- Never over pluck your eye brows, the shape you were born with is perfect for your face shape and may just require a tidy up. Leave it to a professional.
- Get 8 hours of sleep a night.
- When applying your make up, start with the eyes first. Clean away any mascara or eye shadow spillage and then apply foundation for a flawless finish.
- Applying fragrance – spray the scent on your hairbrush. It will cling to the natural oils in your hair and make you smell delicious without overpowering.
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Good skin and healthy hair are the result of a healthy diet. Eat as much fresh fruit, veggies and fish as possible.
- Only wash your hair every second or third day to prevent stripping your hair of natural oils.
- Apply two slices of cold cucumber to tired, red or puffy eyes.
- If you have stains on your nail bed from wearing dark nail polish, rub lemon juice on the nail area. The lemon juice will eliminate the stains.
- Sleep on satin or silk pillowcases as it creates fewer creases on your face and delays the onset of wrinkles.
Out of all these beauty tips, the one my mother taught me that works the best is to believe in yourself.
If you don’t feel it, fake it..stand up straighter and smile! The way you carry yourself has more of an impact than any beauty product you can buy.