A toddler was vomiting and sweating profusely after he was accidentally locked in a car.
The young boy had just been put into the car when the doors accidentally locked about 10.30am on Tuesday, Ambulance Victoria said in a statement on Wednesday, reports 9 news.
The temperature outside may have only been 25C but, by the time firefighters smashed a window and rescued him, the boy showing signs of heat stress.
“We moved him to the air-conditioned ambulance and removed his clothes to cool him,” advanced life support paramedic Jeff Edwards said in the statement.
“The boy quickly improved and he was taken to Dandenong Hospital in a stable condition.”
The boy was one of eight children locked in cars in Victoria on Tuesday, but he was the only one that needed hospital treatment.
Please be careful with kids in this terrible heat.
– On a typical summer day, the temperature inside a car (even with the windows rolled down a little) can quickly rise above 50 to 60 degrees.
– Even on a relatively mild day, the temperature inside a car can get above 40 degrees.
– At those temperatures, children are at great risk for heat stroke, which can lead to a high fever, dehydration, seizures, stroke and death.
– Anyone who sees a child left unattended in a vehicle is urged to contact Triple Zero immediately and help make sure the child gets out as soon as possible.
Last month we shared that a Mum was to face court after she allegedly left four young children in a locked car during yesterday’s extreme heat in Sydney. Read that story here.
Share your comments below.