When was the last time you took off your shoes and enjoyed nature? Or walked on the beach barefoot, felt the breeze of the ocean while looking up in the clear blue sky?
Most of us, when we grow tired of the urban jungle think of a weekend gateway – a place to let loose and unwind, somewhere serene and calm, somewhere we can experience nature at its finest.
Humankind muster the Earth as far as the pages of history can remember. From the early days, we were once part of a mundane species toiling the soil to survive and wandering this splendid planet we called home, with minimal clothing and footwear, without the aid of modern medicine to cure diseases, and without any aid of convenient supplements, readily available over the counter today.
Over time we evolved, culture developed and so too our relationship with nature changed, we enclosed ourselves in civilisations, in cities and neighbourhoods.
But once in a while, we still long for that inherent charm of Mother Nature at its purest form and as a means of healing.
Ever heard of the term “Earthing” or “Grounding”? It is a process where the body absorbs the energy of nature through the skin, commonly through the soles of the feet.
This process was practiced thousands of years ago until human development put barriers on our connection, such as footwear, pavements and social infrastructures.
- The importance of taking a moment for ourselves as mums
- 5 plants that make air healthier for families at home
Earthing reduces stress by lowering the cortisol levels in the body; it also improves energy and uplifts the mood.
It improves the quality of sleep and revitalises the body by reducing inflamed muscles and organs. Earthing boosts the overall wellness of the body, to sum it all up, it is good stuff!
As we are exposed to everyday electromagnetic energy and free radicals from pollution and technology, “grounding” or “earthing” can neutralise these unwanted substances and lessen the level. A win-win ending for being “down-to-earth”.
Here are some tips to consider whenever you have time:
- Go outside – The easiest way to reconnect with nature is going out your front door! Staying home and watching your favourite TV show may sound like fun but studies suggest spending time outside improves one’s overall wellbeing and vitality.
- Walk barefoot – the earth’s energy can easily be transferred to the soles of the feet. Go ahead, remove those thongs and shoes, walk the earth!
- Visit the beach – Now this is a treat, isn’t it? Walk along the shore and lie in the sand, this is also an effective way of absorbing precious energy.
- Plant trees or visit a local farm – harvesting the local produce and digging in the soil for planting are fantastic ways to link yourself to Mother Nature.
- Meditate – Visualisation is a healing tool, breathe in and breathe out the air. Calmness is the first step to healing and energising.
- Have a picnic or go camping – Be one with nature, feel it’s surroundings and let it embrace you whole heartedly. Invigorate yourself and appreciate the wonders around you.
When is last time you have relaxed in the outdoors? Please share in the comments below.