- Serves 4
- 10 minutes
- Difficulty Easy
- 9 Ingredients
Wombok Salad is one of those salads that will quickly become a favourite!
Lots of people refer to this salad as a crunchy noodle salad. Well our kids do anyway. We’re thinking that the crunchy noodles are their favourite part of the salad.
What is a Wombok?
The Wombok has been around for over 6000 years in Asian countries. It belongs to the same family as broccoli and cauliflower. And of course other cabbages. A Wombok is probably the largest vegetable you will see in the supermarket or green grocer. If you can find a half Wombok, this is a good choice. Half is plenty for most salads and it makes it much easier to store in the fridge.
How do you cook Wombok?
Usually you don’t cook it. You use it in this delicious Wombok Salad. But if you want to bulk up a stir fry or fried rice, roughly chop and add at the very last minute. This is a great way to use it up if you’ve left it a little too long in the fridge and it’s not as fresh as you’d like for a salad.
This salad is full of delicious Asian flavours in the sauce, the crunch of crunchy noodles and good quality protein from the chicken breast. You might also like to try it with
This Wombok Salad is sure to become your new favourite. Perfect for when you need a big, yummy salad – family dinner, barbecues or those times when it’s your turn to take a salad.
If your family love even more crunch, add some toasted slivered Almonds, toasted Sesame Seeds or even a sprinkle of Chia Seeds to your Wombok Salad with Chicken – so good!
TIP TO REMEMBER: Add the dressing just before you want to serve. The cabbage absorbs the dressing quite quickly and can go very soggy if you leave it sitting too long before serving.
Wondering what to serve with your Wombok Salad?
We’re thinking some juicy chicken breasts or thigh fillets would be the bomb … Even better if they’re big on flavour with a little bit of heat!
With Nando’s PERi-PERi Bag & Bake the flavours are all taken care of and their revolutionary cooking bag makes it quick and easy to throw everything in and let is cook while you relax.
NEW to supermarket shelves, Nando’s PERi-PERi Bag & Bake brings Nando’s love for PERi-PERi to your very own kitchen, so that whipping up Coconut Chicken Curry for dinner is super easy and so tasty.
Whether you like your Chicken with just a slight touch of heat or enough to get your mouth tingling, Nando’s have got you covered with their Lemon & Herb (Extra Mild) and Medium PERi-PERi Bag & Bake flavours.
Nando’s Bag & Bake is the newest way to infuse your meal with Nando’s world-famous PERi-PERi. Each pack of Nando’s Bag & Bake comes with a parchment bag as well as a sachet of PERi-PERi spice, made from a combination of their own unique African Bird’s Eye Chilli, herbs, lemon and garlic.
Nando’s PERi-PERi Bag & Bake contains no artificial preservatives, no artificial flavours and no artificial colours. It’s also vegetarian, halal certified and certified kosher.
One sachet is enough to infuse 500g of chicken (or your choice of meat and veggies) to give you and your family a PERi-fect meal in 3 Easy Steps!
- Simply add your choice of meat or veggies (or both!) to the cooking bag.
- Sprinkle in the PERi-PERi spice. Fold the bag along the edge and give it a gentle shake.
- Lay it flat on a baking tray, making sure that none of your meat is lying on top of each other, then pop it in the oven for 30 minutes. It’s as easy as that! After 30 minutes, remove from the oven, tear the bag and revel in the masterpiece which you’ve created.
Where can I buy Nando’s PERi-PERi Bag & Bake?
Nando’s PERi-PERi Bag & Bake is available only at selected Woolworths stores nationally.
Perfect for Chicken and Chips … but also amazing for all sorts of chicken dishes.
Find Nando’s PERi-PERi Bag & Bake in the spice aisle or order online from Woolworths.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1/2 large Wombok (Chinese Cabbage)
- 6 Shallots
- 100g Slivered Almonds
- 1 pkt Fried Noodles
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 cup Light Olive Oil (not Extra Virgin as the flavour is too strong)
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil and olive oil in a saucepan. Stir well over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Cool completely (pop in the fridge if you need it to cool faster).
- Slice the Wombok into 1/2 - 1cm slices from the top of the leaves right down to within about 5cm of the base of the cabbage. Slice the Shallots into 1/2cm pieces on the diagonal. Lightly toast the slivered almonds and allow to cool.
- Combine the wombok, shallots and dressing and mix well. You can store this in the fridge for up to 1/2 hour before serving but no more.
- Just before plating up, add the noodles and the slivered almonds and toss thoroughly.
- Serve your Wombok Salad with your Nando's PERi-PERi Bag and Bake Chicken on the side.
If you are taking this Wombok Salad to a friend's house to share, take the almonds, noodles and dressing separately. Just before serving combine everything so that your Wombok Salad is fresh and crunchy.