If you want to be an extra cool parent, then homemade Sponge Water Bombs are all the rage. But they’re NOT DAD ENOUGH!
It’s time to give this DIY water-fun activity a serious DAD UP makeover. Get ready for backyard shenanigans with the all new, all awesome, possibly-concussion-causing SPONGE BOMB WRECKING BALL of Doom (oom, oom, oom, oom)!
- 9 Lengths of foam (100cm x 10cm x 10cm)
- 1 Ball of plastic string
- 1 Hose
- 1 Clothes line or low hanging tree branch
- Get 9 equal lengths of foam cut to size. Do not try to cut the foam yourself! Hacking, tearing and shredding is easy. It turns out that cutting foam is rather tricky.
Do yourself a favour and sweet-talk the shop keeper into slicing the foam to the right measurements using their custom buzz saw.
- Pile your nine (9) lengths of foam into three (3) piles of three (3). Each end should look like a square.
- Here's the hard bit. We've got to compress these. A lot. Wrap some strong string or rope around the middle and then pull. Hard. Harder. I said harder.
Try my technique and bear-hug the foam into submission whilst your sexy young assistant (aka, Wifey) ties off the string.
- If you put enough gusto into it, you should now have a giant Sponge Water Bomb. But we’re not done yet. Grab an arm length of rope and hang the massive foam ball from a tree branch or the old Hills Hoist.
- Grab the hose and give it a good drenching. And the kids while you’re at it. And the Missus, if you feel you’ve had enough monkey love for the year.
- Boom! You’ve created the awesome Sponge Bomb Wrecking Ball!
Man Hint – track down your local rubber or pool supplies store and ask for their foam off cuts. These should only be a few dollars each.