Mum issues a warning after a man had to jump through a café window to save her baby.

NSW mum, Kahla Hilton, was out for lunch with a friend when she experienced the ‘scariest’ moment of her life.

Kahla was chatting with her friend while she thought her daughter, Lukah, was munching on a Rusk cracker next to her.

Her baby actually had a bead from her teething garland in her mouth.

“I quickly put my finger in the side of her mouth and got the bead out, and then I saw that she had another bead in there, half way down her throat. I started to panic, she was choking, and I froze,” Kahla said in a Facebook post about the incident.

“People rushed from every direction of the cafe and a couple of them attempted to help. The cafe owner called emergency services as I continued to scream like an absolute crazy person. My baby was going to die, that’s all I could think about,” she wrote.

Luckily for Kahla, people from all around the mall heard her loud screaming and a man ran from the carpark and through the open café window to help her and her helpless child.

kahla 2

“He saved my baby’s life. I owe him everything,” she said.

They spent the rest of the day in the hospital doing X-rays on Lukah to make sure there was no damage.

Kahla revealed that she had actually attended a baby first aid course just weeks before the incident took place and was still unable to help her daughter.

“Before I get any negative feedback for my parenting. I have raised 2 teenagers without incident. And I’m most definitely an attentive and careful mother,” Kahla wrote.

“I don’t put blame on anyone for this happening. Not at all. But I do want to slap myself silly for putting so much trust in a piece of string.

“Never again.

“Everything made with teething beads has been thrown out. And I highly recommend all parents consider doing the same.”

Her post has had over 3600 shares.

Just last week a US mum shared her terrifying experience after her daughter nearly choked on a bath toy. She begged parents to take CPR classes. Read her story HERE>

Sadly a Tasmanian family lost their little boy earlier this year after he choked on a small ball. Read their heartbreaking story HERE.

This alarming x-ray went viral showing how important it is for parents to be vigilant about food even as your children get older.
Read more.

What to do if a young child chokes via Kidsafe

  • Check first if the child is still able to breathe, cough or cry.
  • If the child IS breathing, coughing or crying, the child may be able to dislodge the food by coughing:
  • Check the child’s mouth for food; remove any food that you can see (scoop it out with your fingers).
  • Stay with the child and watch to see if their breathing improves.
  • If coughing has not removed the food and your child is not breathing easily, phone 000 for an ambulance
  • Give up to 5 sharp blows between the shoulder blades using the heal of your hand.
  • Check the child’s mouth after each back blow and remove any food.
  • If the child is still not breathing, commence CPR. The ambulance service operator will be able to tell you what to do next.

Read more:

We may get commissions for purchases made using links in this post. Learn more.
  • I am so glad that this tale has a happy ending. A child thats choaking is very scary. My youngest was one that would often do this with her food. My best advice is to never leave them alone when they eat.


  • Glad bub is ok and thanks for the warning.


  • Such a scary thing for you to have happen. Hope you and your little girl are okay now. Cudos to the man who saved your daughter. Just one more thing. You may have done a first aid baby course but doing the course and doing it when your child’s life is involved are 2 different things. Thank you for sharing


  • I hate teething jewellery for just this reason. Its just asking for something horrible to happen.


  • Accidents can happen to anyone. I must say I don’t blame her for throwing out all the teething beads – I never saw the point in them personally and never used them.


  • I always say, no matter how well prepared you are, you never know how you will react in certain situations until you’re put in them and your reflexes kick in. Thank God for this man and others like him. Glad to hear it all turned out okay.


  • No matter how capable you are … a scary situation like that would render you useless! Happily someone was level headed enough to react so quickly!


  • So scary.
    We never did teething necklaces for exactly this reason.


  • Yes, even if you know wat to do, panic can affect your ability to act.


  • What a scare. Luckily that there was somebody ready to act. I would have probably froze like her.


Post a comment
Like Facebook page

LIKE MoM on Facebook

Add a photo
Your MoM account

Lost your password?

Enter your email and a password below to post your comment and join MoM:

You May Like


Looks like this may be blocked by your browser or content filtering.

↥ Back to top

Thanks For Your Star Rating!

Would you like to add a written rating or just a star rating?

Write A Rating Just A Star Rating